CLIP: History of Political Advertising
AIR DATE: Tuesday, November 1, 2016
Patrick Meirick talked about the history of political advertising as well as its role and significance in the 2016 campaign. Advertisements from the current and past campaigns were included.
- VIDEO CLIP: Campaign Ads - "Barbershop" and "Laura" (10/24/16 - 1:05)
Two presidential campaign ads were shown. The Clinton campaign ad, "Barbershop," released October 24, 2016, featured barbershop patrons explaining why they were supporting Hillary Clinton. The Trump campaign ad, "Laura," released October 18, 2016, featured Laura Wilkerson, whose son, Joshua, was killed by an illegal immigrant in 2010.
- VIDEO CLIP: Campaign Ads - "Captain Khan" and "Predators" (10/21/16 - 1:53)
Three presidential campaign ads were shown. The Clinton campaign ad, "Captain Khan," released October 21, 2016, featured Khizr Khan, father of U.S. Army Captain Humayun Khan who was killed in Iraq in 2004. The Trump campaign ad "Predators," released October 18, 2016, 2016, featured a compilation of soundbites from Hillary Clinton regarding segments of America's youth. The Trump campaign ad "Donald Trump's America is Safe and Secure" was released August 24, 2016.
- C-SPAN Classroom's Campaign 2016 Resources
- C-SPAN's Campaigns and Elections Bell Ringers (Members Only)
- C-SPAN's Campaigns and Elections Lesson Plans (Members Only)
- C-SPAN's Road to the White House 2016 (Website)
PEOPLE IN THIS VIDEO:
- Patrick C. Meirick
University of Oklahoma->Political Communication Center
Campaigns & Elections, Election Process, Presidential Candidates, Advertisements, Media, Social Media, Television, Campaign 2016